Saturday, May 2, 2009

entry 6


Did you see the movie "Groundhog Day" - wake up every morning to the same thing until finally you get it right. Honestly some days are worse FOR ME than others...

* I can only answer the same questions so many times in a day before I want to scream. (nothing wrong with screaming, let's out frustration)
* the obsessive compulsive behaviors make me crazier than others.
* stubborn, stubborn, stubborn
* I wonder, how does she remember THIS when she doesn't remember THAT?
* "LOST IN TRANSLATION"? We had her hearing checked because what was said and what she'd repeat were drastically different!

Today's obsession is her umbrella and the rain. The simplest tasks are so over exaggerated! I kept hearing a noise, a click over and over. She was opening and closing her umbrella. She needed me to show her again how it works because "it doesn't work correctly, and I need a new one that works". She is stubborn, she is refusing to get her hair done because it's raining and she won't take a bath if she can't get her hair done, and I can't take her dirty clothes if she won't take a bath. I was watching her last night washing her hands in the bathroom and she said "why am I in this bathroom"? I get this bathroom confused with another bathroom that looks completely different". It makes me sad to see her so confused. Physically she is declining, and losing muscle tone. She fell out of bed the other day so I took the box spring off to make it safer.

Some days you just have to vent, take a walk, go to the store, stand in the rain (like today), get away to clear your head. The sickness/dysfunction will make you sick. You have leave the situation for a while to realize how dysfunctional it is and that you are still OK.

1 comment:

  1. You are right that venting is actually healthy. I'm glad you can get renewal from standing in the rain (i love that, too) and the other things you mentioned. Remember that you are not only caring for your mom, you are showing your own children and grandchildren by example how to be loving, patient caretakers. I know that what you give you will someday receive in return from your own family.

    ReplyDelete