Sunday, May 24, 2009

entry13

This is a post from my sister Jackie:

Cherilyn brought Mom down to the DAR mtg w/ me yesterday. Of all things, I was given the assignment of reporting the Nat'l Defense message which happened to be on Gold/Blue Star Mothers and music/bands in the military. I mentioned Mom was there; that Dad had a 5 or 6 star Grandmother; and that Mom's Mother was married to a man who played the trumpet and died en-route to WW1 a yr before Pres. Wilson started this program honoring war mothers. Someone else reported on Constitution Hall w/ pic's. She enjoyed all of this and interacting with the women who were very kind, honoring, and friendly towards her (all about her age). She was dressed in her white suit. She made statements that jumbled things up (like my performing at Constitution Hall the time I got that white dress, "Do you want to tell them about that?" I told her I didn't perform at that the time I was a page for the DAR Convention, but that I performed at my H.S. Graduation there. She told women there she was from Wash, D.C. and does this everywhere I take her and introduce people to her.

Afterwards, we went to Sizzler to get something to eat. I said I was going in to get something and she says, "Well, what if I don't like what you get?" She says this to everything I try to feed her, but then ends up liking it (like she did this ~ Malibu Chicken Platter, they charge $2.56 for a measly side of broccoli, btw, now).

We went back to my place where Br. Lefevre (our Lee relative) was connecting my electrical outlet near my TV (that blew out my 5 yr old DVD/VCR recorder recently). She kept getting him confused w/ a real electrician and him being someone I know well w/ comments about paying him and other such she would if she had someone in her house.

Immediately after he left she wanted to go back home (to Cherilyn's). I was trying to get her to go to the Temple w/ me and she said, "Well, let's schedule something like that for next week or something b/c I've been up since 6 a.m. and have had a busy day!" Part of that actually did sound normal as she said it.

We had to run by the Police Station b/c as we were waiting for Br. Lefevre to do the socket, I found a "Fraud Alert" letter from Discover Card in the pile. Someone was trying to get a credit card thru my name, using my SS#, but with a different address. Discover Card said that's what triggered their sending me the alert and asked if I had recently applied for one to which, of course, I told them, "No." I had to pick up a packet in down-town Provo. Mom thought it looked really ratty down there and would not sit in the car b/c she was scared. I told her, "This is Provo?!!" but she still felt uncomfortable and went in with me.

We tried to call Cherilyn to bring her home (this was about 6:30 p.m.), but no answer. Mom said, "She won't answer. She'll just leave me here and I have no clean clothes to wear or anything for church tomorrow!" Frankly, it reminds me of Di where she is able to "remember" and verbalize some things correctly, but not others.

Cherilyn called soon-after and I took her back. Cherilyn said she noticed something different about Mom. She did almost start crying as we were leaving about my having to live there alone and feeling guilty for leaving. Before we left I managed to capture a little bit of us conversing on video. She was very ornary and sarcastic in her answers. When we talked about McLean she got antsy and didn't want to talk about certain things very long saying how she was going to be able to drive and have to take a taxi everywhere!

When we got back to Cherilyn's she immediately went to greet the dog and stayed in her room the whole night watching TV. I invited her to watch, "Goodbye Mr. Chips," with me (we did that song during one of our latest Broadcasts she attended). She said, "No, I'm not interested in that," but occasionally came into the room and asked if it were good. The dog stayed w/ me on the couch. ;-)

As I left she was asleep sitting up on her bed. I had a feeling to go kiss her goodbye, but just let her sleep. A few min's later she called me nearly crying as if she wasn't going to see me for a long time. Whenever we have been on the phone these past 2 weeks she has talked to me as if she were going to be flying home any min. saying, "I need to get home. It's time." She's made these sorts of statements since she came last Sept. Jackie

No comments:

Post a Comment