Tuesday, May 12, 2009

entry 10


Mother's day for mom started out with Jackie picking her up at 7:15 AM on her way to "Spoken Word" at the Tabernacle. Mom wore her favorite white suit and we gave her a corsage to wear that she thought was beautiful-Jackie's idea. We gave her a new bracelet type watch that is easier for her to put on her wrist. With her broken elbow it's very difficult for her to clasp the watch she has now. Then Jackie took her to church at her ward in Provo. Later, the family got together for dinner at Alicia's. It's interesting to me because 2 weeks ago Jackie and I forced mom to go to the Temple one night. Since then she has seemed clearer about some things. She has also started talking about going home again this week. Someone said to her that when the weather became nicer in VA she could go home. Somehow that stuck in her mind. Everyday mom asks " is this the day I'm going home "? Mom has even kind of packed her things . She obsesses about not being able to drive and how she will get to the bank to make the deposits. While it would be so much easier for me if she went home I adamantly believe it would be to her detriment. Mom has had to come out of seclusion and be social whether she's wanted to or not. I know she wants her own space but I believe the daily stimulation has helped her. If mom goes home she will dwindle away both phsically and mentally (as was the case last year). She will say "I can't wait to leave this earth". Maybe I'm keeping her from what she really wants, to go home. Do we give her that choice?

1 comment:

  1. I think she is right where she needs to be--a least for the time being--surrounded by her children and grandchildren. Better to be missing home than wasting away at home. At least that is my opinion...can't thank you enough for all that you are doing for her every day.

    ReplyDelete